Coronavirus nightmare in Ecuador's port city Guayaquil - pictures
Ecuador's port city of Guayaquil is one of the worst-hit places in Latin America in the coronavirus pandemic.
Its health service is overwhelmed and hundreds of bodies have been left unburied, sometimes lying in the street.
Officially Covid-19 has killed 421 people in Ecuador and infected 8,450, but the real figures are believed to be much higher. A relatively low rate of testing means many cases have probably gone unreported.
The official charged with collecting bodies in Guayaquil, Jorge Wated, said in the first two weeks of April almost 6,000 more deaths had been registered than the average for this time of year.Image copyright AFP Image caption A furniture-maker and his wife are now making desperately needed coffins Image copyright Getty Images Image caption A woman with her baby begs for help as the country suffers economic pain from the health crisis Image copyright Reuters Image caption A man sports a Jesus face mask, hoping his faith will keep the virus at bay
More on the pandemic:
- WATCH: Ecuador's struggle with coronavirus
- Massive surge in deaths in Ecuador's largest city
- WATCH: Medics worldwide fighting coronavirus
Ecuador's coronavirus nightmare in pictures
- A SIMPLE GUIDE: How do I protect myself?
- AVOIDING CONTACT: The rules on self-isolation and exercise
- HOPE AND LOSS: Your coronavirus stories
- VIDEO: The 20-second hand wash
- STRESS: How to look after your mental health
All images are subject to copyright.